Chain & Spoke in Des Moines, Iowa, is looking for a full-time barista to join our fast-paced, locally-owned, community-focused business. We’re a coffee shop and cyclery focused on high-quality coffee and bikes… all under one roof! This position is an opportunity for a customer-facing barista who is knowledgeable and passionate about coffee. The barista will welcome customers, answer customer questions, take orders, take payments, and prepare and serve drinks. The barista will continue to expand their knowledge in coffee. The barista will demonstrate adaptability and openness to new ways of doing things. The barista will demonstrate high integrity and bring a positive attitude.
- Provide exemplary customer service, including welcoming customers, answering customer questions, and accepting orders and payments
- Prepare orders consistently to Chain & Spoke standards
- Organize the shop and cafe area, prioritizing cleanliness
- Clean and restock behind bar and guest seating area
- Learn proper brewing methods and presentation techniques to improve drink quality
- Work as part of a team
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and face-to-face communication skills
- Follow all food safety regulations
- Ability to work 40 hours a week including weekends.
- Experience preparing drinks and willingness to continue to learn
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to walk, bend, and stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to work around peak hours, including early mornings, weekends, and holidays.
- Commitment to customer service and service excellence
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility for change
- Desire to work in coffee industry
- Interest in cycling industry a plus
- Prior food experience a plus
Competitive pay and a creative, supportive environment. Opportunity to help launch a new, locally-owned business.